Monday, January 20, 2014

Escapism

Lauren's stepping away from her TV-by-way-of-the-internet for awhile. I just finished Sherlock Season 3 and I have reached my maximum viewing capacity. (Steps away...) Besides Sherlock, I'm also all caught up on Call the Midwife and Downton Abbey. They're all wonderful, but Sherlock especially so... I'm feeling a little angst-y because I have no idea when to expect the 4th season. But maybe it's just as well - I'm way, WAAAYY too emotionally involved with the show at the moment and could use a little distance. (Steps further away...) That, and the younger demographic within the Sherlock fandom drives me crazy. (Steps even further away...) Whew, feeling better already!

I had to teach Relief Society on Sunday. The lesson went well enough, but the topic in Sacrament Meeting only a couple hours earlier was Dallin H. Oaks' conference talk "Good, Better, Best." A great principle to revisit, but it did make me squirm a bit as I pondered my activities from earlier that week. My conscience wagged a finger and tsk-tsk'd disapprovingly in my ear. While I felt pretty okay about the lesson I prepared, it hadn't been my priority. I dedicated more hours to watching my shows - my wonderful, wonderful shows - than pursuing those "better" things. Pretty ironic when you consider I blogged about failing at this same principle of good, better, and best when I was still compulsively watching Doctor Who.

We sure learn from our mistakes around here, don't we?

While an occasional retreat from reality is nice, I'm afraid I've indulged in too much escapism lately. Books, music, and television... There's a time and place for everything, but am I more loyal to shimmering fantasy than I am to my own boring reality? Do I care more about fictional characters than those I encounter in person? At times, yes. The reason being I am not very enchanted with the day-to-day of things right now. But it's the day-to-day that lasts, so I will escape my escapism and try to embrace real life for awhile. 



3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this is SO ME! I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who escapes from reality. I also need to focus more on "real" people......so hard when there are Mary's and Julian's out there ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a real person! Maybe we just need to hang out more and dish on all our favorite fake people. ;)

      Delete
    2. YES!!!!!! Can we please? We love all the same fake people so we would have so much fun ;) oh and I haven't seen Sherlock.....should I watch it? Do you think I'd like it?!?

      Delete