I re-pinned (a word that wasn't even part of my vocabulary 2 years ago) this from a friend on Pinterest. Unfortunately life is never as easy as "5 Simple Rules," but as principles for happiness I definitely see their merit.
I believe everyone is entitled to happiness, but not as a result of getting everything they want. That would mean I attach happiness only to certain conditions - the right job, the right body, the right spouse, the right family... I deserve it all, don't I? As I'm learning, our happiness shouldn't be about what we feel we deserve or what we wish we deserved; sometimes it’s about what actually happens in spite of our best efforts. That’s reality. Don’t say it’s not fair. Maybe it’s not. But life rarely is for most people. And still, life can be fulfilling and joyful and good and all those things I'm trying to remind myself of these days.
I'm trying to concentrate more on what's within my control. And even if I can't control everything in my little world at any given moment, at least I can control what I do with it. Action over reaction.
Maybe I'll start with this list.

Great post!
ReplyDelete