Monday, May 20, 2013

Why do I hate this book??


As part of my 2013 effort to read more, I have burned through quite a few books. (Not literally... That's a no-no...) I've read 6 books so far and I'm working on a 7th...


TA-DA! So right now I am reading Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson. If you want to see a really terrible trailer for the book, click here. What kind of accent is that?? Anyway, I'm about 70 pages in (185 more to go!) and if I'm being completely honest, I want to throw this book at the author's face. (I was actually reading a few minutes ago, but was so irritated I had to stop.) It came so highly recommended and the reviews on Goodreads and Amazon were pretty glowing - the word AMAZING was thrown around a lot. But I cannot (at this early juncture) understand WHY. 

So far the book has been full of obnoxious flirting, "trembling" and "quivering" lips,  excessive blushing (I'm blushing at the amount of blushing in this book), "warm" and "searching" looks, fluttering nerves, and awkward dialogue that doesn't fit the time period. OH! And the romantic cliches... (rolls eyes)... The heroine, Marianne, observing a painting: "It's beautiful." The hero, Philip, observing Marianne observing the painting: "That was precisely what I was thinking." Or Marianne, talking to Philip about the horse she's riding: "A gentle mare would have never been enough to keep up with you." Philip, gazing at Marianne and smiling: "You are absolutely right." Duh, Marianne... You ARE the painting. You ARE the spirited mare. 

Throughout the first-person narrative (told from Marianne's perspective), there are many exclamations about Philip being a (insert adjective similar to "insufferable" here) man! Incorrigible... Arrogant... Presumptuous... Deceitful... Odious... Wicked... Not very original, but there they are. All of them.

So yeah... The story, the characters - no real substance. And it just doesn't feel true enough to the time period it's trying to represent. It's too wordy; too descriptive. I'm restructuring some of the dialogue in my head as I read, trying to think of how it may have actually sounded "back then." And what is a reticule?? Don't throw in random, antiquated names for things in an attempt to make the story sound authentic! I'm pretty sure Jane Austen would have just called it a purse... 

So maybe that's my problem. Maybe all I want is Jane Austen and the like. Maybe all I want are those perfect characters and the authenticity of the eras portrayed in their stories... Like I'd know... But people who profess to love Austen also say they love Edenbrooke. So why can't I stand it?? I'm really not a cynic... I'm a romantic!  I really am.

SO... for those of you who have read this book, please tell me why I should finish it. Or why I really should just throw it at Julianne Donaldson's face. Maybe it gets better... But maybe it gets worse... Should I keep trying to imagine the hero as James McAvoy? Is there better Regency-inspired fiction out there that isn't already written by its contemporaries? 

Or should I just try to enjoy this book for what it is? 

Whatever it is. 

**EDIT: Jane Austen has used the term reticule. I stand corrected. But I still dislike this book.**

4 comments:

  1. I felt the same way you did about weak characters, wordiness, and Marianne's stupidity. I decided to just read it for fun and then couldn't put it down. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been such a long time since I've read it that I don't even remember the plot line anymore, much less the character interactions and details :/
    That being said, I did enjoy reading it at the time.
    That also being said, there have been many books I've enjoyed and then months later looked back on and wondered what I ever saw in it, henceforth vowing never to read them again....
    So.... I guess I didn't give you any direction one way or another, but if you finish I hope it's not too horrible :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel partly responsible for the glowing recommendation of this book. It still lists among my favorites but as favorite fluff. This book isn't for those among us with an English degree and I'll admit, I wanted to hit Marianne over the head with the book a few times too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I loved this book!! But yeah...I like cheesy stuff and am not an English major and am not too picky. I just like quick fun reads. If you don't like it now, you won't like the rest, so just stop reading sista! Read something you'll like!

    ReplyDelete