This week kicked my butt. Work was a little more chaotic than usual and it didn't help that we were operating at about half capacity in my department. We had lots of worker bees taking time off for final end-of-summer hurrahs. Fun for them, not-so-fun for Lauren and the rest of her co-workers laboring in the trenches. I realized today how much tension I'd been carrying in my neck and shoulders from feverishly slaving away at my computer. I'm all knots and it's no wonder - 5 days permanently hunched over a keyboard awkwardly holding a phone to your face with your shoulder is probably not widely recommended by the chiropractic community.
In fact, what am I doing here? Hunched over another keyboard?? Oh yes... CATHARSIS.
I also discovered that thanks to aforementioned telephone, my chin and jawbone have broken out something fierce. 3 pimples thus far. I wiped down the receiver once I realized it was the likely source of my break-outs. Ew. Good thing I like my job, huh? That wasn't sarcastic - I do like my job.
After such a tedious week I decided I wanted some yummy Zupa's for dinner. But when I walked through the doors I found about 30 people waiting in line. I was irritated at first, but all was not lost. I had a couple other errands to run so I decided we'd come back a little later and see what the line looked like. When I finally did return there were only 7 people in line. Yay! I hate lines. You could tell the employees were a little frazzled by the Friday evening dinner rush - their Zupa smiles were very pained. My own attempts at being friendly felt a little forced as well - I was hungry and tired and trying to go unnoticed by some people I knew in High School who had just walked into the restaurant.
When sandwich and salad were finally assembled, I waited at the register to pay. There was a younger couple ahead of me and an older couple behind. The little blonde cashier struck a nerve when she asked me, "Are you paying separate?"
All I heard was, "Awww, are you paying alone-all-by-yourself-just-you-and-no-one-else-alone?"
"Yes, I had the salad and sandwich."
Then she asked, "Would you like a brownie or some cheesecake this evening?"
She must have asked this question at least 357 times that night. She's probably contractually obligated to do so by Zupa himself. Still, all I heard was, "You look like the kind of girl who likes brownies and cheesecake... Maybe you better take a couple pieces home with you. Y'know... since you're here alone on a Friday night and all."
"No, not tonight. Please shut up." (I didn't say 'please shut up.')
Pay. Grab bag. Door.
And you want to know the worst part?
"How could it get any worse, Lauren?"
I ordered a Turkey Bacon Avocado Sandwich with Honey Mustard... And they smothered it in pesto sauce instead. I hate pesto sauce.

Oh my gosh I love the 30 rock thing you have I laughed out loud! And I always order that sandwich and always regret because of that darn pesto sauce!!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a pretty crappy night - at least the strawberry probably tasted good, right? I love that you get the chocolate-covered strawberry at Zupas with every order... hang in there/
ReplyDeleteI hate those days. On those days I feel like Alexander.
ReplyDeleteAnd I totally know what you mean about avoiding former high school people. I hate running into them around town too, lol.
Hope your night gets better.